Why You Should Visit Lokrum Island, Croatia


I was convinced before I left Croatia that I had to visit Lokrum Island, for the peacocks if nothing else, but it was so much more than I bargained for that I think I genuinely fell in love with it. It was on our last full day that we caught a "sea taxi" from the hotel next to ours, journeyed to the Port of Cavtat to pick up others, and then finally onto the island. All in all the journey took 45 minutes, so only slightly longer than getting a taxi from Cavtat to Dubrovnik Old Town. It cost 100kn each for the boat, and 120kn each to be permitted onto the secluded island. Regular boats to the island also leave directly from Dubrovnik port if you would prefer to do it this way - but we wanted to explore the areas on different days to really take everything in without the rush to get around.



I had read plenty of blogs on Lokrum before we turned up, so I knew that it was fairly peaceful and that I should expect plenty of peacocks. But despite having a view of it the previous day on the Dubrovnik City Walls, I hadn't quite prepared myself for how lush and green it would be. The sun was shining but there were plenty of places to find shade and respite, there were far less tourists than the city by far, and the bugs weren't interested in us at all. All big pluses when you're on an epic romantic adventure for two, and even more pluses for an anxious person who likes their space. I couldn't help thinking that this would be a great place to practice mindfulness and be one with nature.



Of course, we also have to talk about the Game of Thrones attractions. Parts of the old Monastery has been turned into a museum of sorts (no entrance fee needed) where there is a replica Iron Throne and house banners round every corner. Keep on exploring around the area and you'll find actual Game of Thrones filming locations, such as this 'Qarth' garden where there was an attempted assassination attempt of Daenerys in Season One. Sadly we didn't make it inside Fort Royal as my legs were too destroyed from Dubrovnik the day before!



To the left there are some old ruins, and to the right up some stairs a lovely little restaurant called Rajski Vrt. Surrounded by trees and greenery, this was probably the most picturesque place we ate in the whole of Croatia and it made us feel so special, like we were in a jungle. I can't imagine any of the other eateries on the island were any better or more beautiful. Unfortunately our cameras were away while we were eating but you are welcome to Google this glorious restaurant. The server there was really enthusiastic and polite, too, whereas in our hotel the bartenders were a bit more abrupt. This seemed to be the Croatian way, so it didn't phase us. The dinner was a little more expensive than in Dubrovnik, but we didn't mind paying for the exclusivity. After dinner if the sun is still shining, you should explore 'The Rocks' - they look like salt plains you might find in America.



We spent three hours in total on the island, after deciding it was the perfect time to go back to the hotel around 2pm. You don't have to leave so early - I believe the last boat is around 7pm so why not stay for some cocktails? 🍹 What would you most like to do on Lokrum?


Comments

  1. I've actually been thinking of visiting Croatia for my next holiday/trip away, and this post has persuaded me even more! x

    Blog: www.girlvsworldblog.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I could have stayed there for weeks - you'll love it! x

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

There's More!

I have a glitch on my blog at the moment that's deleting all the posts from my main page, but there's plenty more available in the Archive, search bar or 'Older Posts' buttons.

MB x