Where to Drink in Rome: Exclusive & Personalised Cocktails


Google 'where to drink in Rome' or 'the best cocktail bars in Rome' and you will be presented with a myriad of delightful places to spend your time. But don't worry, we tried quite a few for you! On the blog today are three of our top picks that all offer something different.

Caffe Propaganda is a lovely bar and restaurant not too far from the Colosseum, but away from the tourist-y areas. We heard online that they did some of the best personalised cocktails in the city, and found that they were very close to our hotel - so there was no excuse not to try. We absolutely loved what we found, and with no entrance fee  to be paid, we would definitely have become holiday regulars if we hadn't discovered it at the very last minute. 


I regret that I do not remember the gentleman's name who served us, however he turned out to be one of the most pleasant and eager to please bartenders that we met. When we visited in April of this year, he informed us that they were in the middle of re-working their cocktail menu, but that he would make us something personalised based on a few of our favourite ingredients (or would even base it from one of our long-standing cocktail faves). I honestly loved everything he put in front of us, and would have stayed there longer. We didn't try the food though as it was too late and we didn't fancy a snack or dessert, but if you are here for a few days you should definitely try it, as it's a lovely place to sit and chat for a while and be around other families/couples.

On your way to The Race Club Roma, you will find some great graffiti lining the street. We had heard about the "artsy" side of Rome, but this was our first time seeing it in person. Someone really captured that Banksy-esque style!


Entry to the Race Club you might find difficult on all accounts. It is a little bit further out than the Colosseum, down a long street that you might not have had the chance to explore yet. But to make it there will be worthwhile because it is a hidden speakeasy. And I can say this is the only one I've ever been to. Once you have located the entrance, you will be asked to pay a membership fee (rather than a one-time entrance fee) which is a bit of a downside but if you're looking for some luxury and exclusivity in your night then this is really the place to be.


Race Club is ran by two brothers and they are there most nights to take your orders. I ordered one drink that he wasn't sure I'd be fond of, and as they are quite expensive he insisted that if I didn't like it, he would make me another without charging. It didn't matter anyway as I loved it. The drink and the atmosphere were perfect, and combined, made one of the most romantic nights I ever had.



My last paragraph will be an ode to Scholar's Lounge Irish Pub. Can you get exclusive membership? No. Will they make you personalised cocktails? Possibly not. As Josh describes it, it was a bit of 'home away from home' and we were definitely on a bit of a Jameson's and Ginger Ale stint at the time. They do also have some fantastic booths that would be great for anyone who needs to pull a map out and do some day-planning, or a convenient place to live it up whilst you edit some photos.

For now, this concludes our drinks recommendations for Rome, but I'm sure it won't be long until we're back for more. Being there for four nights, you really get a feel for the place and I'm sure I know it like the back of my hand! What are some of your favourite hide-aways in the capital?




Comments

  1. This makes me miss Rome! I didn't do a whole lot of drinking while being there but I did hit up pretty much every highly rated TripAdvisor pizza place and I was not disappointed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is absolutely nothing to be ashamed of! Sounds like you had a great time, thanks for stopping by :)

      Delete
  2. Great recommendations! I love Rome and lived there for two years. I've been to two of these already but haven't been to the Race Club yet

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I only wish I had more time there to discover new places! Just read your 'good food abroad' post & loved it.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

There's More!

I have a glitch on my blog at the moment that's deleting all the posts from my main page, but there's plenty more available in the Archive, search bar or 'Older Posts' buttons.

MB x