Dining out in Derbyshire: for couples


Do you ever feel as though you've seen and done everything there is to do in your area? Derby is my local city, and being such a small (and new) city, it often can feel like there's nowhere left to explore. However over the last few months my partner and I have been trying our hardest in our free time to discover new places on our own doorstep, and make Derbyshire feel exciting again.

Here in the East Midlands we are 100% land-locked, with no sea for miles around. I love the water, which is one reason why the Ragley Boat Stop is so appealing to me. Less than a 20-minute drive from the centre of town, in Barrow-on-Trent, it's hard to believe you're still in Derby and not a cute little village in the Cotswolds! Ragley boasts an indoor restaurant, an outdoor area and beer garden - with access to the docks further down - making it the perfect place to bring your other half for a romantic day-time meal and a drink. Prices are affordable too - dinner and drinks for two came to £22, which is comparable to your local Wetherspoons.


Whilst Ragley is great for the day-time, if you're after somewhere perfect for later afternoon or evening then we would recommend the House of Darwin. This lovely establishment is only two years old, so the interior is brand spanking new. For this reason, the menu is not as large as you would find in other restaurants - but we can definitely attest to the quality of the food. The first time I saw a photo on Google I wondered why I had never heard of it before, as this place has the potential to be something massive in the Derby area. Possibly the only thing holding it back from the masses is that it's placed around 15-20 minutes outside of the city centre, in the small village of Shelton Lock, just beyond Allenton and Alvaston.

All credit for this image goes to the House of Darwin, until I can take pictures of my own!

The decor and lighting inside is utterly beautiful, and I have just discovered the news that they do themed menus and events at Halloween, so it definitely won't be long until I am back! Even better news is that they welcome and encourage bloggers and freelancers to eat/drink/do their work here and be merry, if you are a creative couple like Josh and I.

Third and finally on our list today is The Joiners Arms in Quarndon. The Joiners Arms is part of a small chain, and the vibe inside is not too dissimilar to the House of Darwin. Most people come here for the food I would say, and its close proximity to the University of Derby. Depending on what you eat it can be a little bit expensive, but it is completely worth it for a romantic meal or special occasion, or even just a sunny day. If you don't want to spend too much - just go for a few drinks and enjoy the cosiness! For those of you who have furry friends, it would be a perfect place to munch after walking the dog as pets are allowed here.


Can you add to our list of places to eat in Derbyshire? Recommend your favourites below, or pin this post for later!





Comments

Popular Posts

There's More!

I have a glitch on my blog at the moment that's deleting all the posts from my main page, but there's plenty more available in the Archive, search bar or 'Older Posts' buttons.

MB x