My Favourite Travel Planning Apps (So Far)


Have you ever wanted to travel or take a trip but don't know where to start? It doesn't have to be a lengthy road trip through America or Europe - maybe you're planning your first big trip around your home country and you just need some handy applications to help you with transport or organisation. I have by no means perfected my planning process, but I definitely do have some trips for you to try! As I discover new ones, I will be sure to update this post for you, or maybe even create a new page for Travel Resources.

Trainline.com / Trainline.eu
Trainline, in my opinion, is one of the handiest apps on the market. Ever since I was little I have loved travelling by rail, as I suffered a lot with car sickness/queasiness around that time. Rail journeys always had great views and it meant that I could read a good book on the way without having to stare out of the window to avoid feeling ill. My love for rail travel has continued on into my adult years and I can safely say this is my favourite way to travel my home country, the UK. For at least three or four years now I have consistently used the Trainline app to book my train journeys, as it allows you to see the times of the trains, compare prices of tickets, and get your Railcard discount all in one place.

Booking.com
Although I use the website far more often than I use the app (just because I prefer a larger screen), Booking.com is my most commonly used application when it comes to accommodation. I mostly use it in the UK for booking hotels in big cities such as Manchester, Birmingham and Newcastle, but I have been known to use it for booking in Europe aswell. When Josh and I stayed in Rome, we booked four days at the Hotel Palace Star via Booking.com using my Genius discount. I have found Genius status to be quite easily attainable, even if you use Booking.com just a few times a year, and it usually provides 10-15% off selected hotels. BOOKING.YEAH!!

Josh & I on top of the world at Radisson Blu Cardiff (booked via Booking.com)


IHG.com (or any Hotel Rewards app, really!)
While we are on the subject of hotels, I have to mention the IHG Rewards Club. I used to work in the Travel & Tourism industry under the IHG umbrella, and I got to understand the ins and outs of it quite well. When I worked at this particular hotel I received points on my IHG Rewards account in return for signing customers up to the scheme. This allowed Josh and I to stay two nights in Dublin City Centre for completely free, and it will account for a large chunk of our payment when we stay at the Holiday Inn in York later this month. If you don't have an IHG account, it is worth signing up on their website as you will normally receive a 10% members rate straight away at any one of their hotels. I am also a member with Radisson, although I find that they usually don't have availability on the dates I want to go away! (This is not to take away from Radisson at all as they are one of my favourite hotel brands).

Pitchup.com
Pitchup is an app that I was recently introduced to by Josh's mum. Earlier this year we booked a (very damp) excursion to a campsite in Pomeroy in Buxton to test out mine and Josh's tent before we headed to 2000Trees festival. It is a super easy way to book a campsite and pay for your space. It also tells you what facilities there are and what time you can check in, so kind of like IHG or Booking.com but for campers! An app like this would probably be one of the handiest for you if you wanted to go on a particular walk or hiking trail.



LaLaLab
LaLaLab is the only app on this list that isn't used for booking accommodation or travelling per se, but I do find it one of my travel essentials. I was introduced to LaLaLab a number of years ago by my younger sister, who uses it to print pretty cool polaroids to put up with her fairy lights. Nowadays, I also use it for scrapbooking my travel pictures, but most importantly, I use it to write back to my family when I'm away. A few clicks, and you can edit one of your photos on the app, turn it into a postcard, and they will send it off for you to your chosen address. This is a complete lifesaver if you don't like to use the run of the mill postcards in shops, and prefer a more personal touch. When I next holiday abroad, I intend to send one to the residents of a Ward in Derby Hospital (who have been collecting such postcards for their wall to bring back memories) and to my mum, of course, so it really makes people's day.

I will let you know as soon as I find anything more useful! What are your favourite travel planning apps?

DISCLAIMER: This post is not sponsored - all views are my own.

Comments

  1. These apps are so great. I love Omio, it's a really good app for booking trains or buses when travelling around Europe :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Never heard of Omio before so had to Google it - looks like a super useful site! Thanks for the recommendation, I hope I will use it sometime :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

There's More!

I have a glitch on my blog at the moment that's deleting all the posts from my main page, but there's plenty more available in the Archive, search bar or 'Older Posts' buttons.

MB x