How to Promote Wellness Before a Trip


If you are lucky enough, like myself, to have multiple trips left for the end of the year, you surely will have done a number of things to make sure everything runs smoothly. But have you thought about your own health? I assume a great number of you reading this post will be 16-30 years of age, where we tend to just assume that our health will take care of itself. Unfortunately, this is not always the case. I have suffered since the age of 16 with a re-occurring illness that cannot be cured - just pops up when it wants to - so I have had to work harder than most people my age to make sure I still have access to my much needed, well-earned holidays! Now I want to share some tips I have learned to keep you healthy for your hols:

  • Take vitamins. Even if you don't have a re-occurring illness like me, 1 in 5 UK readers will suffer from low Vitamin D, or even a deficiency as a direct result of the lack of sunlight in the country. I take Basset's Multivitamins for Adults once per day to ensure that my body gets the nutrients it needs to stay healthy.
  • In your spare time, go outside and make use of the sunlight that is there, even if it's just to your local park. Your skin will thank you for it!
  • Get some exercise. If you're feeling low, the last thing you're going to want to do is exercise. But it's vital! My last job was close enough to cycle to, and yes in the beginning I really struggled with muscle pain, but your body overcomes it in no time. In fact, now I've had a bit of time off, I'm longing to get back on my bike again!
  • Make good choices. Whilst you may be about to fill your body with 'rubbish' food on holiday (what the heck, you've earned it), there's no excuse for not eating healthy food beforehand. Maintain a balanced diet and be sure to drink lots of water and fruit juice.
  • Stay busy and stop thinking about what can go wrong! Stress is a massive problem when it comes to my own physical health, but this can be easily overcome if you find a way to distract yourself.
  • Have a pamper evening - do whatever you need to do to make yourself feel great. Consider having a bath instead of a shower - this may seem like a weird comment but trust me the amount of times that doctors have recommended this to me is unbelievable. It's such a simple change that makes all the difference.
  • Stock up on medication/equipment you may need. Of course don't stockpile, but just make sure that you have everything you do need in case something does go wrong before holiday. If you can recognise it quickly enough, there may still be time to sort it! I always make sure I have one set of antibiotics, painkillers and my ice pack at least. Another tip is to start packing for your trip early - your future self will thank you for it especially if you feel a bit under the weather on your day of departure.
  • See your doctor and talk it out. If you are having any symptoms that are worrying you - make an appointment before you leave. Prevention is better than cure.
  • Laugh! It sounds cheesy but laughter really is the best medicine. Surround yourself with people you love, you'll feel far less stressed and ready to take on the world.

Comments

  1. Totally agree with this post! Exercise is great for releasing endorphins and increasing seretonin in the brain! Vitamins are also essential for health x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you agree, I can really tell the difference when I forget to take my vitamins! x

      Delete
  2. YES TO ALL OF THIS!! I agree, the smallest amount of exercise makes the biggest difference on the way you feel. Sometimes when I'm feeling sluggish, I like to go on 10-15 minute walks and instantly I feel refreshed 😊 But my favorite tip you shared is the one about laughter, it's truly is the best medicine 👏🏾

    Natonya | https://justnatonya.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Natonya! Crazy how much your life changes when you surround yourself only with positivity!

      Delete
  3. I recently went on a trip abroad for the first time and I did catch a bit of a cold while I was there. There is nothing worse then having enjoyment cut short by the sniffles but, I will say, I recovered quickly owing to my eagerness to enjoy myself.

    There is nothing better then preparing beforehand for a trip then by eating well! One of the best things a person can do, even when they are not going away.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sure is! I find in England we don't drink as much fruit juice as the rest of Europe, so when I'm on holiday, I normally feel better than I do at home!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

There's More!

I have a glitch on my blog at the moment that's deleting all the posts from my main page, but there's plenty more available in the Archive, search bar or 'Older Posts' buttons.

MB x