You Me At Six // Rock City, Nottingham 13.10.16 // Review

Yesterday was the second time I've had the pleasure of attending a You Me At Six gig. Now I can say with confidence that their performances are always consistently excellent and never disappointing. They know exactly which songs their fans want to hear. On top of that, Josh is a brilliant vocalist - unlike those bands that sound completely different live, his vocals are always as if they've been taken straight from the track and there's noone singing live at all. In fact, the first time I saw YMAS with ATL at Birmingham, Josh had a (broken? or fractured?) ankle, and he still killed it, jumping around as much as he could. 

Rock City was full to the brim - they even opened the balconies up which is something I haven't seen them do that often. I'm not sure if this is so press can get the best photos from the top of the venue, or because in the past, at particularly heavy gigs I've been to such as Asking Alexandria, they closed the balcony off as they knew there might be a risk that fans could fall or jump at those sorts of gigs. Either way, on the main floor, you could barely move - even when Vant were still warming the crowd. I missed most of their performance as my friends & I arrived late, although I did hear one song I recognised. According to the set-list, Vant had an hour and a half performance - which is just as long as YMAS themselves.

It was an especially exciting gig as YMAS are, obviously and expectedly a HUGE DEAL in England. Therefore, during the interval, there were a few fans feeling a bit aggressive in terms of getting to the front. But I love it when a band comes on stage and that lairy atmosphere just subsides - you forget about everything that's annoyed you before and sink into the performance. Josh encouraged making friends at the concert, as most bands do nowadays, and suggested lifting a friend or a stranger up onto your shoulders at one point. Of course, not everyone is comfortable with that but it was nice to see some people give that a go. He looked at me while I was giving him a cheeky wave and I swear it made my life, we giggled like schoolgirls.

'Stay With Me' was an especially good performance, and one I'd been eager to hear live again for a while. 'Fresh Start Fever,' 'Underdog,' 'Loverboy,' 'Bite My Tongue,' 'Room To Breathe' and 'Lived A Lie' were also played, just to name a few favourites. It was awesome to hear 'Night People' live for the first time too. I'm a bit disappointed I didn't get to hear 'Cold Night' again but how can I complain when the night was that awesome. The only thing I will point out is that the gig did finish rather early - YMAS came on at 8.30pm and only stayed 'til 10pm. My friends were happy enough with that but I don't know I just would have liked them to have stayed for a bit longer. 

All in all if I had to rate the gig I'd give it a 4/5, and would definitely recommend You Me At Six to anyone who is longing to see a band that is just as good live as they are on their albums. (They also called out Donald Trump for being a d*ckhead - so what more can you want). Would definitely see them again, about 500 times.

Meaghan x




Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

There's More!

I have a glitch on my blog at the moment that's deleting all the posts from my main page, but there's plenty more available in the Archive, search bar or 'Older Posts' buttons.

MB x